Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Treadmill Desk = Happy Me! But, I thought a Treadmill Desk was only for overweight people?

My Treadmill Desk Experience

The common misconception with the idea of a Treadmill Desk or walking workstation is that you have to be some kind of massively overweight person who is so lazy that they have to be shoved onto a treadmill at their desk. This couldn't be further from the truth. Many times, when I mention my treadmill desk, people wonder if I was obese at point, or wonder why I would need one because I'm already too skinny as it is. The treadmill desk wasn't built to be some magical weight loss obsession. The Surgeon General recommends walking 10,000 steps a day. If you've ever tried to use a pedometer and measured your steps, you'll quickly realize that 10,000 is whole heck of a lot. I'm a very active person after work with my kids, and sports, so I figured 10,000 must be easy. I was only hitting about 3,000 to 5,000 steps a day. That's only a fraction of what the surgeon general recommends.

I then moved to the treadmill desk. I began walking about 3,000 steps in an hour!

Quite a big difference! I started off by only doing about 2 hours a day on the it, which easily got me to 10,000 steps in a full day.

My Treadmill Desk Notes

I just felt good.
Work flowed.
Energy was up.
I felt like I smiled more.
Over time, I noticed I was getting more done.




The bottom line is that the treadmill desk was having a greater impact on my mind and body than just weight loss. I did notice that my weight dropped a bit over the first month, and if I was a little heavier, it probably would have been a significant change.

The experience of walking and working is for everyone. Don't get stuck on the idea that it's only for weight loss. It really takes you to a new place in your working environment that I had never been. It has been an inspiring experiment that will have to continue on because I'm not getting rid of this thing.

Shadow Height Adjustable Desk with Treadmill

No comments: